We know our team of volunteers are essential to running a successful film festival.
Volunteer registration for the 2018 Calgary International Film Festival will open June 25, 2018 for returning volunteers, and in the beginning of July for new volunteers. Sign up for our newsletter to be reminded when register opens.
2017 set all-time volunteer records
- In 2017, the festival benefited from 404 active volunteers across all positions. That’s an increase of 42% from the 2016 festival
- Those active volunteers contributed a combined 9,371 hours. That’s an average of 23.2 hours per volunteer
- Calgary Film strives to create an exciting and fulfilling festival experience for volunteers. Of our surveyed volunteers, 86% said they would volunteer again this year!
How to become a volunteer
Before you register, here's how to plan your involvement in three easy steps:
Step 1: Decide on your volunteer contribution
Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum 16 hours during the festival or 26 hours pre-festival. By meeting the minimum hours, volunteers will receive:
- A badge granting access to all general admission level films (contingent upon seat availability)
- For every hour worked above the minimum, volunteers receive general admission vouchers
- Volunteers who commit to working 30+ hours are entitled to a Festival Pass.
NOTE: General admission vouchers are valid for any regular screening and may be shared with friends and family. Festival Passes and volunteer badges are non-transferrable. In addition to movie tickets, volunteers will receive a limited-edition volunteer t-shirt, swag bag, other special discounts and an invitation to a volunteer wrap party.
STEP 2: DECIDE ON YOUR TOP 3 CHOICES OF CREW
Festival volunteers are assigned to a crew that is responsible for specific tasks. Please review the available crews before registering. Returning volunteers should review it as well as some crews/tasks have changed from last year.
There are two types of crews at the festival, Non-Venue Crews and Venue Crews.
Venue Crews are the largest crews at the festival and is often where we need the most number of volunteers.
Non-Venue Crews are based at different sites around the festival and may also work at our two main festival sites.
All volunteers will be expected to work in the venue crew at some point, although many will also be working in one or two other crews.
You can indicate which crews you prefer when you register. Please note we do not guarantee a placement on the desired crew. Please be flexible!
STEP 3: MARK YOUR CALENDAR, AND REGISTER
After you’ve decided on your volunteer commitment and have decided on your top 3 choices of crews, mark your calendar with these important dates:
- Registration opens for returning volunteers June 25
- Registration opens new volunteers (TBD early July)
- Festival dates are September 19 to 30, 2018
Please note that volunteer training sessions will be starting in August, with dates to be determined based on your assigned crew.
If you have any questions about the Volunteer Program at the Calgary International Film Festival, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 403-283-1490
Don't forget to stay in touch
Download the 2017 Volunteer Handbook
Our 2018 Volunteer Handbooks is still in the works. Take a look at last year’s volunteer handbook to learn more about volunteering with the festival:
If you have any questions about the Volunteer Program at the Calgary International Film Festival, please email email@example.com, or call the main office line at 403-283-1490 and ask to speak with the Volunteer Coordinator.