We're looking for engaged youth to join the CIFF Generation Next Film Previewer Program.
Going into its third year, the Calgary International Film Festival's Generation Next Previewer Program provides a unique opportunity for Calgary and area youth grades 10-12 with an interest in film and critical analysis to contribute to the Fall festival’s Generation Next program, our youth-focused film series.
Up to 10 youth will gain valuable experience volunteering with a major arts organization, discover a breadth of new international cinema and act as ambassadors for their peers, helping choose films for our Generation Next Series that speak to and engage with their generation.
- Preview 3-4 feature length films weekly (up to a maximum of 10 hours/week) over a period of four months (see Key Dates)
- Maintain a journal of notes and reflections
- Attend in-person training and discussion sessions with festival staff and peers
- Contribute to the selection of up to 6 films for the Generation Next Series
- Volunteer experience
- Professional experience in a non-profit setting as festival previewer
- Skills improvement in public speaking
- General Admission tickets for the Fall Festival
- Learn about the historical and industry context of films through peer discussion, online research, social media strategy and possible field-trips
- Letters of Recommendation (pending program completion and performance)
- Applicants must have a passion for film, in any capacity including but not limited to, watching them, making them, reading or writing about them, and discussing them
- Strong verbal and written communication and analytical skills
- Strong time-management skills
- Ability to collaborate and cooperate with individuals of varied opinions, backgrounds and perspectives
- Reliable transportation to and from all program venues
- Students are required to have an internet-capable viewing device
Please email the completed form with “PREVIEWER APPLICATION” in the subject line to: email@example.com. A confirmation email will be sent to you upon successful submission of your application package.
☐ Statement of Intent & Strengths Fillable PDF
Applications are due by March 3, 2020. Please include a resume and cover letter.
Notifications by March 6, 2020.
CIFF Office Sessions
March 17 - Introduction
March 31, April 14, April 28, May 5, May 19, June 2
Saturday, April 25: Festival Field Trip
Saturday, May 2: TBC - Tour of local artist run centres
September 23 - October 4: Calgary International Film Festival
September 29 - October 1: Generation Next dates at the festival
Please note that the above schedule is subject to change and additional dates may be added as they become finalized.