Posting date: January 27, 2020
We're Recruiting! Apply to join Calgary International Film Festival's Board of Directors.
Position: Board Director
The Calgary International Film Festival is recruiting Board volunteers responsible for the governance of the organization. Their primary duties focus on strategic planning, financial oversight and policy development. As a governance board, directors are not directly involved in programming or operational matters, which are delegated to the Executive Director.
The Calgary International Film Festival’s Mission:
To entertain and engage audiences by curating the most innovative and compelling films, and creating remarkable festival experiences.
The festival is a 12-day showcase of up to 200 multi-genre films from Canada and over 40 other countries, hosting gala events, screenings, award ceremonies and special presentations. Additionally, the festival co-presents other programs, such as Doc Soup, throughout the year.
Responsibilities of the Board:
- Ensure the organization’s activities align with its established vision, mission and values, and review those from time to time.
- Engage in strategic planning and the setting of annual goals and priorities
- Provide support and high level oversight to the Executive Director
Specific duties of Directors:
- Prepare for, attend and participate in approximately six board meetings/year, the annual Board retreat and regular committee meetings as assigned
- Participate in at least one standing committee of the Board (Finance, Governance, Marketing, Fundraising) or additional ad hoc committees that may be struck from time to time
- Act as an ambassador for the Calgary International Film Festival in the community
- Regularly attend the Festival and its year-round events
- Make an annual donation in an amount that is personally meaningful and within individual means
- Leverage relationships in the community to help grow the Festival's philanthropic supporters
Term of office:
Directors serve for a term of three years and can serve a maximum of two consecutive terms, subject to the Society’s bylaws.
The CIFF Board members have a diverse array of professional skills and experience and we encourage all who feel they can contribute to the effectiveness of the organization to apply. Additionally this year we are especially interested in those with HR or Marketing backgrounds. Previous experience with Board, not-for-profit organizations or festivals is also desirable.
Please email a resume and cover letter in a single document to email@example.com by noon February 18, 2020. Please use “Board Director” as the email subject line.
Our Recruitment Committee will review all applications received and selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please. Calgary International Film Festival is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to reflecting our community’s diversity. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.