A macabre musical with a debt to the deranged genius of Edward Gorey and Charles Addams, the 3d-animated The Suicide Shop is a whimsical take on a dire topic. Set in a city so drab that its denizens fling themselves from buildings with disturbing frequency, the film follows the Tuvache family, purveyors of poison, blades, rope, and whatever else a young man needs to end his life. With a never-ending supply of suicidal citizens, the Tuvache's business is booming—until the birth of Alan.
Despite the best efforts of the Tuvaches, their new son simply does not understand how to be dour. Even in the face of beatings, the cheerful young lad somehow brings a smile to every customer who walks through the door. Needless to say, such a chipper demeanour is bad for business. But what's to be done?
- Toronto International Film Festival 2012
- Patrice Leconte
- Valerie d'Auteuil, Thomas Langmann, Emmanuel Montamat, Gilles Podesta , Andre Roule
- Patrice Leconte, Jean Teule
- Reginald Gallienne Nicolae Ilies
- Production Design
- Regis Vidal, Florian Thouret
- Etienne Perruchon
- Bernard Alane, Isabelle Spade, Kacey Mottet Klein, Isabelle Giami, Laurent Gendron