Portuguese and German with English subtitles
14A - Substance Abuse, Mature Subject Matter
After being in competition two years in a row with his now award-winning short films, young Brazilian director Esmir Filho has made a resonant feature debut about adolescence, loneliness and the desire to escape reality. To adapt Ismael Caneppele’s book, Filho not only enlisted the author to co-write the screenplay, he invited Caneppele to play the lead, Julien.
With an incredible soundtrack throughout, the film weaves four characters’ lives together in a poetic, dream-like drama. Taking place in a small town of German ex-pats in rural Brazil, THE FAMOUS AND THE DEAD follows Mr. Tambourine Man (Henrique Larre), a 16-year-old Bob Dylan fan who spends hours on the Internet surfing for photographs and movies of a mysterious young woman who he may be in love with. As the story progresses, it reveals more about the mysterious woman and her relationship with the town, Julien and Dylan himself.
- Best Feature & Fipresci Prize Rio International FIlm Festival 2009, Best director Valdivia International Film Festival 2009
- Official Selection Locarno Film Festival 2009, Official Selection Berlin International Film Festival 2010, Official Selection San Francisco International Film Festival 2010, Official Selection Jerusalem International Jewish Film Festival 2010, Official Selection Pusan International Film Festival 2009
- Esmir Filho
- Maria Ionescu, Sara Silveira
- Esmir Filho, Ismael Caneppele
- Mauro Pinheiro Jr.
- Caroline Leone
- Henriqué Larré, Ismael Caneppele, Tuane Eggers, Samuel Reginatto, Aurea Baptista, Adriana Seiffert